Ways To Protect Your Social Security Disability Benefits

Workers’ Compensation and other 
public disability benefits may reduce your 
Social Security Benefits
“Some attorneys and advocates of  
Social Security Disability clients are not
aware that 
they can put your social security disability benefits 
in jeopardy by
accepting public benefits or benefits
for Workers’ Compensation.”  
Gerald M.
Welt, Esq.  (April 2015)
If you are receiving Social Security Disability benefits and benefits through the Medicare program you may be unaware that Workers’ Compensation and
other public disability benefits may reduce your Social Security Disability
benefits so it is important 
that you consult a Social
Security Disability attorney before you accept any other disability settlements.
If you are using another attorney for something other than Social Security
Disability please let your attorney know that I will be happy to offer free consultation
so that you receive the benefits you deserve for your disability, illness or

Much like the process for
obtaining Social Security Disability benefits, the process for 
filing a Workers’ Compensation claim involves many strict deadlines
that can affect whether you obtain benefits and how much you receive. You also
need information from your employer and a physician about your injury.  Our law office is familiar with the laws, the dates, the regulations and the policies
that you need to know to receive your benefits.
You Must Meet Three 
Basic Requirements to be Eligible for 
Workers’ Compensation 
 For a Job Related Injury or Illness
  1. Your employer must provide
    Workers’ Compensation insurance.
  2. Your occupation must have
    played a role in your
    injury or illness.

  3. You must be an official
In most cases, Workers’ Compensation only applies
to employees. Freelancers, volunteers and some independent contractors cannot
receive Workers’ Compensation, though there are sometimes exceptions for
volunteer firefighters. 
Even if your employer has
designated you as an independent contractor, you may still be eligible for
Workers’ Comp benefits. If you filled out a W-4 instead of a 1099, there is a
good chance that you qualify for Workers’ Compensation. 


After filing your claim, there
is another set of rules to follow if your
employer refuses to comply. We can help you decide which forms you need.
Contact my office at 702.382.2030 for more



Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *